Sunbloom, the functional sunflower protein
Functional, healthy, versatile and sustainably produced –
Sunbloom Sunflower Protein is the new, genuine alternative
to already established plant proteins.
Health & Wellness
A gain for food production
Sunbloom - the versatile sunflower protein for your application
- Bright colour, neutral taste, pleasant sensory characteristics: ideal for milk substitutes such as sunflower drinks, yoghurt, cream cheese or ice cream
- Naturally high content of dietary fibres and polyphenols, making it ideal for the production of extrudates, such as natural meat substitutes or high-protein breakfast cereals
- Very good emulsifying and stabilising properties: Top substitute for egg and milk proteins, especially for the production of vegan fine bakery products or emulsions, such as sauces or dressings without allergens requiring labelling
- Conserving resources thanks to:
- complete and direct use of the whole sunflower seed as protein and oil for human consumption
- Production without the use of toxic solvents such as n-hexane
- Production without the use of water in the extraction of the proteins
If you want to modify an existing formulation by using our Sunbloom proteins or develop a new product, our team of experts will be happy to help you:
- Switching from animal proteins to sunflower protein
- Switch from vegetable proteins (e.g. soya) to sunflower protein
- Development of new formulations for various applications
How Sunbloom sunflower protein is made
The sunflower seeds are carefully de-hulled. The result is sunflower seeds that are easily digestible and have a particularly light colour. This makes Sunbloom Sunflower Protein ideal for the production of high-quality food ingredients.
The hulled sunflower seeds are then cold pressed and de-oiled. The advantage is the gentle treatment preserves the valuable vitamins and the proteins remain native.
Gentle extraction with food grade ethanol almost completely removes the remaining residual oil from the press cake.
In the next process step, the de-oiled press cake is gently dried at low temperatures to drive out the food grade ethanol without damaging the proteins.
The final milling (adjustable including very fine particle sizes of up to 40 microns) of the de-oiled, dried press cake produces valuable Sunbloom sunflower protein with a protein content of approximately 60%.